Sunday, April 10, 2011

Band Poster Rant


I am not into punk bands at all. In my Illustration class we had a project to make a band poster. I am not into design work but I do enjoy the Illustration part. This assignment has made me look at other posters out there. I mostly skimmed through google and sometimes actual poster websites. I don't really listen to any specific band so I thought I would make one for a band that was on the assignment sheet. I looked at all of them and couldn't decide what to do so I chose the first one on the list. It is a Punk Band. I don't know anything about punk. So this has been an eye opener and it has been kind of difficult to make the image appear "punk." I tried to create an unlikely scene that makes the characters cartoony like the crocodile. I wanted the poster to look different from other punk looks only because the ones I saw were not very attractive. I don't know anything about the band and so I made up in my mind that they were a hardcore dark yet goofy group. From the photo I saw on facebook I tried to mimic their appearance in the characters. This was a fun assignment I used Photoshop to paint the illustration to get more digital practice. I mostly wanted practice with the Wacom coordination. I am still a little awkward with it. It is hard to make straight lines. I think they should make the surface and nib react less smoothly. The slickness creates a disconnect from how in real life a pen or pencil feels on a textured paper. Sometimes I put a piece of paper down on the tablet to help create a textured feel. This image is the final illustration of the band poster. 

No comments:

Post a Comment